A space where book discussions are shared and welcomed.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Odd Mom Out (Jane Porter)


I didn't like this book. I struggled to get through it and had to give up around the 300 page mark because I couldn't stand to read another word. I had actually been looking forward to reading this book since I have experienced being the odd mom out. However, I wasn't impressed with it. The author showed her Harlequin roots. Now, this may sound like an insult, but if you're a Harlequin fan then you will very much enjoy this book. I'm not so much of one. The mother's obsession with the interest in her love life was so out of a harlequin romance novel it was on the point of irritating. The melodrama was so bad it made me want to gag and was the ultimate reason why I finally gave up reading this book. The thought of returning to those sappy, overwritten dramatic scenes was unbearable. And what was with the author's habit of blanking out swear words. Hello, am I twelve? That didn't jive with the fact she was trying to make the heroine some tough Harley Davidson bike riding mamma! That was just weird.

On a positive note, and I think the only one I could muster, there was definitely some uncomfortable parts of the story I could relate to when the author did step on familiar territory and I felt that old stab of being left out of the "mommy clique". But, unfortunately, it was actually the subplot of children dealing with popularity struggles where I felt the most discomfort in reading this book.

As a mother of two girls I felt their pang of not being included in the popular group, so I could relate to the character and her daughter's struggle. However, it was the mother's lack of communication that drove me insane. Throughout the majority of the book, she practically remains mute when it came to her daughter's wish to become a part of the popular girls. A group who made it no secret from the beginning of the book that the little girl was not welcome. Instead of teaching her child that she was better then them and to find true friends, the mother continues to allow her daughter to harp on this fantasy of becoming popular. Even after hearing her daughter being openly ridiculed by one of the popular girl's mother! It would have been at this point that a mother steps in and directs the child in a healthier path. One that won't harm her self-esteem. However, this mother seems more preoccupied (more like obsessed) over a complete male stranger (and again not jiving with her supposed tough go-it-alone feminist momma character). By remaining silent, the mother appeared, contrary to what she claimed, to actually want her daughter to be part of the popular group and was sitting back and seeing how far her daughter could push before she either was accepted or ultimately and painfully rejected.

Teaching children about relationships and the unfortunate presence of social hierarchy in the schoolyard is a parent's huge responsibility. And with so much prejudice and bullying in the schoolyard, what I think the lesson should have been was acceptance and equality. Teaching children to accept and yearn to be a part of the popular group is, in my opinion, an unhealthy message. Instead the focus should be on becoming part of a group that resemble and respect your child's individual personality. And if that happens to be with the unpopular kids, then so be it. Not sure sure if this was the author's message, since I couldn't finish the book, but since it was taking the entire length of the book to do so, I found that pathetic since, quite frankly, any parent would have caught on and quickly averted their child toward healthier relationships.

I would not recommend this book as it is far too melodramatic for my style or taste, but, as I said earlier, if you're the type who enjoys the drama of Harlequin romances, then you'll probably enjoy this book and should pick it up.

No comments: